How To Put Out an Electrical Fire

How to Put Out an Electrical Fire
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    In the event of an electrical fire in your home, it is important to know how to identify the fire and how to put it out. Electrical fires can be caused by a variety of things, such as faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, or defective appliances. 

    The most common sign that you are experiencing an electrical fire is a sudden increase in heat. Other signs could include sparks or flames coming from electrical devices, a burning smell, and flickering lights.

    Causes of Electrical Fires

    The cause of electrical fires is not always clear, as these fires can often be started by seemingly innocent objects. Electrical fires can occur in any location that has electricity, including homes, offices, and factories. 

    There are several things that can cause an electrical fire. It’s important to be aware of the signs of an impending electrical fire and to take action quickly if you notice them.

    Electrical fires can be caused by a number of things, but the most common are faulty wiring and overloaded outlets. Overloading an outlet can cause a sustained overload, which can eventually lead to a fire. 

    Failing to properly wire an appliance can also lead to an electrical fire. Electricity can cause fires when it shorts out and causes sparks. Fires can also be caused by too much current, overheating, or improper wiring. 

    In most cases, improper installation is the root cause. If you notice any of these signs of trouble, be sure to call an electrician to inspect your system and make any necessary repairs.

    What To Do If An Electrical Fire Starts: Tips To Remember.

    If you are in the unfortunate position of being near an electrical fire, there are a few things you should do to protect yourself and help prevent any further damage. 

    Electrical fires can quickly become dangerous, and it is important to stay safe. If you see smoke or flames coming from an appliance, turn off the power at the circuit breaker or fuse box nearest the appliance. 

    If you are unable to turn off the power, try to open windows and doors to allow the firefighting equipment access. The following tips will help you in the unfortunate event of an electrical fire:

    Remain calm

    If you are in the room when an electrical fire occurs, remain calm. In general, those who stay calm tend to have a better chance of survival. Electrical fires often start small and are easy to extinguish if you stay calm. Here are some reasons why remaining calm during an electrical fire can help you: 

    • Panic can cause people to make mistakes that could lead to their own death. 
    • Panic can also lead people to ignore warning signs and risks posed by the fire.

    Get everyone out of the house

    Electrical fires can be dangerous and even life-threatening, so it’s important to get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible. Smoke and heat from the fire can be deadly, and even a small fire can quickly turn into a full-blown blaze if everyone stays inside. 

    By getting everyone out of the home, you reduce the chances of being trapped or injured in the event of an electrical fire.

    Call the fire department

    If you experience an electrical fire, call the fire department immediately. Electrical fires can quickly spread and become dangerous. Calling 911 will help get the fire under control as quickly as possible.

    Wait for the firefighters

    While waiting for 911, you can minimize the risk of injury by following these simple steps:

    • Stay away from sparks and flames.
    • Don’t use water to douse the fire.
    • Shut down the power source
    • Stay away from overhead power lines and cords.
    • If evacuation is necessary, use the stairs and avoid panic.

    Fight the fire with a fire extinguisher

    When a fire starts in your home, the first thing you should do is call the fire department. However, if the fire is small and you can put it out yourself, there are some things you can do to help prevent future fires. One of the most important things you can do is use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

    How to use a fire extinguisher

    A fire extinguisher is a lifesaving device that can put out a small fire or buy time until the fire department arrives. In order to use a fire extinguisher, you need to know how it works and how to hold it properly. 

    Point the nozzle towards the base of the fire and squeeze the handle. Keep squeezing until the fire is out. If the fire isn’t out, back away and wait for the professionals.

    What Not To Do If There's An Electrical Fire:

    Don’t try to extinguish the fire with water

    If you are in the presence of an electrical fire, DO NOT try to extinguish it with water. Water can spread the fire and create dangerous flooding. If the electrical fire is out of control, call 911.

    Don’t use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the mess

    Don’t use a vacuum cleaner to clean up the mess in an electrical fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), using a vacuum cleaner to clean up the aftermath of an electrical fire can cause further damage and put people in danger. 

    The NFPA recommends using a wet cloth or mop instead to help extinguish the fire and prevent further damage.

    Don’t touch any electrical equipment that’s been affected by the fire

    When a fire breaks out, the first thing people do is try to put it out. But what about electrical equipment that’s been affected by the fire? Don’t touch it! This can cause a number of problems, such as shock or even fire. 

    It’s best to stay away from any electrical equipment that’s been affected by the fire, and if you do have to touch it, make sure to use gloves.

    Don’t go back into the room where the fire occurred until it has been cleared by the fire brigade

    Often times when a fire occurs, people feel the need to go back into the room where the fire occurred in order to assess the situation and determine if anyone may be injured. However, this is not something that you should do until it has been cleared by the fire brigade. 

    This is because rooms filled with smoke and heat can be very dangerous for you and anyone else in the room. Don’t leave any electrical equipment turned on if you suspect it’s been damaged in the fire.

    Prevention of Electrical Fires

    According to the National Fire Prevention Association, electrical fires account for more than $1.3 billion in property damage each year in the United States. The best way to prevent an electrical fire is by being proactive and taking some simple precautions. 

    Prevention starts with understanding the risks. These guideline will help prevent an electrical fire

    • Follow manufacturer guidelines for safe operation and installation
    • Inspect wiring and electrical equipment regularly
    • Use appropriate safety equipment
    • Take care when using heaters and other appliances
    • Be prepared in case of an electrical fire

    Specialized Equipment For Fighting Electrical Fires:

    One of the most dangerous types of fires to fight is an electrical fire. These fires can start with something as simple as a spark, and quickly grow out of control. 

    Because of the dangers involved, it is important for firefighters to have specialized equipment to fight these types of fires. 

    This equipment includes thermal imaging cameras, which allow firefighters to see through the smoke, dry chemical extinguishers, class C extinguishers, and CO2 extinguishers, which are effective at putting out electrical fires.

    Dry chemical extinguishers

    Dry chemical extinguishers are one of the most common types of fire extinguishers. They are filled with a powdered chemical that interrupts the combustion process and puts out the fire.

    Dry Chemical extinguishers come in two main types: ABC and BC. ABC dry chemical extinguishers are designed to put out fires involving grease, oil, plastics, and electrical equipment. BC dry chemical extinguishers are designed for use on Class B fires (flammable liquids).

    Class C extinguishers

    Class C extinguishers are for electrical fires. They work by interrupting the electrical current that is feeding the fire.

    CO2 extinguishers.

    A carbon dioxide extinguisher is a fire extinguisher that uses carbon dioxide gas to extinguish flames. Carbon dioxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is heavier than air. When discharged, it blankets the fire and cuts off its oxygen supply, extinguishing the flames. 

    Carbon dioxide extinguishers are most effective on fires involving flammable liquids and gases. In conclusion, knowing how to put out an electrical fire is important for everyone. 

    By following the steps listed above, you can help extinguish the fire and prevent further damage. Remember to stay calm and take the necessary steps to extinguish the blaze. Be sure to stay safe while doing so and always call 911 if the fire is too large to handle.

    Hi There! Get The First Scoop! 🥏

    We send awesome emails and promise not to spam your mailbox! Join our email list to get the latest scoop of water sporting guides and reviews!

    en_USEnglish

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This With Friends

    Skip to content